The Excluded Middle

Forum for those interested in the vast, uncharted wasteland between Yes and No, I believe/ I don't believe schism that exists in the study of UFOs and the paranormal in general. Also the writings and thoughts of Excluded Middle magazine co-founder and publisher/ editor Greg Bishop.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

2006 New Frontiers Symposium Diary - Arrival Day

Since everyone and his brother have been posting blogs for the last decade, I am dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Actually, it's just laziness, so don't expect daily posts!

Here's a diary of last weekend, when I was in Canada for the 2nd time in a year, and the 2nd time in my life.

The reason for this was that I was invited to speak at the 2006 New Frontiers Symposium. If we're not caught in some sort of post-apocalyptic nightmare in the next year, the organizers have assured the public that there will be more. It was one of the best conferences I've ever had the pleasure to contribute to and experience. The speakers all gave talks that were zero B.S., information rich, and thought provoking. The next one will be even better, I wager. I'll be at the 50th one too. The super secret, life-prolonging miracle drugs should be out of the hands of the ruling elite by the time I need them.

Arrival was on the evening of Friday the 13th (thanks to Paul Kimball, the host) but fortunately, I am not a superstitious person. Air Canada seems to be no-frills, no problems. No complaints. The point is to get there, right? Also, what terrorist in his right mind would want to blow up a plane from CANADA, fercrissake? Very bad P.R.

Wandering around the Halifax airport, I met up with my good friend Nick Redfern, (another speaker that weekend) oufitted in his usual habillement: black leather jacket, jeans and Converse high-tops--the standard uniform of his heroes, the Ramones. Paul showed up moments later and drove us into town.

Waiting in the lobby of our opulent hotel was legendary Ufologist Stanton Friedman. He introduced me to his wife and then promptly forgot my name. Gesturing at me, he was smooth: "What are they calling you these days?" Replying with "Your Lordship" would not have been polite, but it would have been damned funny. Have to use that next time. I'm not a UFO bigwig, and I don't know if I want to be one. Maybe just enough to sell books and get invited to conferences to see friends and spurt my weird ideas. I forgave Stan, though. He knows me by name, but not by sight.

Paul had an interview with the "X-Zone" radio show scheduled in a couple of hours, but he lost the key to his office sometime earlier in the day. We went over to the house and he found it in his girlfriend's purse. The last meal I had was a roast beef and brie sandwich at the Montreal airport--strange, but not unpleasant, and Paul handed me a few Canadian dollars to get myself a pizza slice from across the street. When I returned to the office, I had to stifle the desire to shout rude corrections and obscenities in the background during the balance of his phone interview.

Tomorrow: Day 2.

10 Comments:

  • At October 23, 2006 6:50 PM, Blogger Mac said…

    The Hopkinsville goblin. Super!

     
  • At October 23, 2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Greg Bishop said…

    I couldn't find any of the Villas-Boas alien woman.

    Greg.

     
  • At October 23, 2006 11:48 PM, Blogger LesleyinNM said…

    Hi Greg! Welcome to the blog world!

     
  • At October 24, 2006 1:58 PM, Blogger Greg Bishop said…

    Thanks!

    I guess I need something to get me back in the house & on track. (I'm usually paragliding about 100 miles from home.)

    Greg.

     
  • At October 24, 2006 9:54 PM, Blogger Mac said…

    (I'm usually paragliding about 100 miles from home.)

    Be careful. We don't need another Roswell Incident.

    BTW, I've got a good cartoon picture of the Boas woman.

     
  • At October 25, 2006 1:17 AM, Blogger LesleyinNM said…

    Actually there was a horrible paragliding accident near my house a couple weeks ago and since this is New Mexico it is a little surprising that nobody thought it was another Roswell type incident.

     
  • At October 25, 2006 8:15 AM, Blogger Greg Bishop said…

    I know about that accident. There were two actually, and they both involved powered paragliders, since they were having a convention or "fly in." The one where the 2 people got hung up in the powerlines was piloted by the guy who gave me my first ride on a paraglider back in February.

    Greg

     
  • At October 25, 2006 8:18 AM, Blogger Greg Bishop said…

    P.S. No one was injured in the powerline incident. It could have been much worse.

    Greg

     
  • At October 26, 2006 2:40 AM, Blogger LesleyinNM said…

    I am glad no one was injured. I wish the cheap power company would start burying lines. Almost every year during the balloon fiesta someone crashes into one, besides that they ruin my view of Manzano Mountain. Though, it does give me another excuse, besides my fear of heights, not to paraglide.:-)

    Also, I think you should talk Adam into a blog. Gorightly is made for blogging!

    Not that I can probably make it, but are you two still coming to Roswell for some Halloween event?

     
  • At November 10, 2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Greg Bishop said…

    Gorightly greased a few palms. He MUST have. I didn't get invited!

    He must be one of Playboy-Scum-On-Top to get paid to spout his New Fake Starry Sky rants!

    Greg
    (Parroting Puppet)
    P.S. See http://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/intro.htm for more info about this "Gorightly" slave of the Gangster Computer Gods.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home