The Excluded Middle

Forum for those interested in the vast, uncharted wasteland between Yes and No, I believe/ I don't believe schism that exists in the study of UFOs and the paranormal in general. Also the writings and thoughts of Excluded Middle magazine co-founder and publisher/ editor Greg Bishop.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Fortean Name Game

Fortean researchers, most notably Loren Coleman, have written about the frequency of certain surnames in association with strange phenomena.

While reading an account of the travels of the remains of Snippy the Horse, the name game is irresistible. Snippy, if you don't know, was the first victim of livestock mutilation ascribed to UFO aliens, way back in 1967.

In the early 1970s, Snippy's bones were on display in the chamber of commerce at Alamosa, Colorado (the community where she was found.) When the city fathers wanted to throw the remains out, a man named Herman Doty was interested in the bones as the basis of a museum that never happened. As most of you know, RICHARD Doty was the AFOSI agent who ran a UFO disinfo operation against Paul Bennewitz in the early 1980s, as described in my book Project Beta. I wonder if there is any family relationship?

In the 1980s, Snippy passed into the hands of one Carl Heflin, described as a "local collector." As most of you also know, a fine fellow named REX Heflin snapped a series of pictures of a strange, disc-shaped craft in Santa Ana, California on August 3rd, 1965. Both Heflins have passed away in the last couple of years.

Perhaps if my surname was Doty or Heflin, I might have had more luck sighting UFOs, or at least led an even more interesting life up to now.

7 Comments:

  • At December 11, 2006 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Name games like this have cropped up on a number of occasions in the UK in cryptozology too.
    Rather like how the aliens seemed to particularly enjoy landing in various desert locations in the 50s and mainly appearing to various people named George!

     
  • At December 11, 2006 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The multiverse has a sense of humor....maybe.

     
  • At December 12, 2006 12:41 AM, Blogger Greg Bishop said…

    ...or ufology attracting hundreds of researchers named "Bill" in the 1980s and '90s.

     
  • At December 12, 2006 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about the Bill thing - Moore, Hamilton, Cooper, English, Goodman, Birnes, etc etc.

     
  • At January 12, 2007 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI, I was doing a search on my own name with google and found your blog. I am Herman Doty Jr. Yes my father was the one who had Snippy between the years 1973 and 1979. My mother donated Snippy to Adams State College (Adam State College has not yet been able to give our family any answer as to how Carl Helfin was able to get Snippy from them). Snippy must just like living in boxcars! We had a boxcar that Snippy lived in and so did Carl in later years, from what I understand. If anyone has any aliens or spacecrafts laying around I would not recommend ever donating them! The story of Snippy has gotten real confusing (maybe intentionally). Hopefully within the next couple months I can clear that up with a publication I plan to put out. Would anyone like me to send them a copy? It will turn some heads. Unfortunately I don't think Alientoligists are gonna like me much. But I'm sure some followers of government shenanigans will. Here's a name for you to look up and link.. John Altschuler..I would like to know more about this guy myself....hopefully I can meet him someday. As for my name..My great grandfather was Henry John Doty with possible connection to Edward Doty from Mayflower History. A much greater story than Snippy! :O) This blog is my first glimpse into what I hope will finally get some facts straight about Snippy (posibly create some more questions too). Keep your eyes and ears open! Thanks for letting me put this on your blog!
    Herman JR

     
  • At January 12, 2007 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just read the Paul Bennewitz story. Wow! I hadn't heard of him. You guys really do walk the razors edge. Looks like a fun group to me actually! :) What I really came back to blog again was the fact that I want to make it clear that neither I or my family absolutely have no connection and we are not related to Richard Doty at least as far as we know. I just barely figured out my grandfather and his father while searching some census records just before Christmas. My father never knew his real father. Definitely no connection!
    Your website is great I'll keep checking back. Take care.
    Herman

     
  • At July 20, 2007 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't forget the strange coincidence of a guy called Adamski being found dead in mysterious circumstances on top of a slag heap I think it was, somewhere in the north og England
    Dave

     

Post a Comment

<< Home